The National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security (NCS4), at The University of Southern Mississippi, hosted the first annual National Intercollegiate Athletics Safety and Security Summit on January 28-30, 2014, at the National Center in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
The National Intercollegiate Athletics Safety and Security Summit served as the only annual combined meeting for personnel responsible for safety and security management at collegiate sports events in Division I, II and III institutions, as well as Athletic Conferences and BCS College Football Bowls.
• Athletic Department administrators
• Campus/Local/State Police, Government Officials, Emergency Managers, Fire/HazMat and Emergency
• Athletic Conference administrators and staff
• BCS College Football Bowl administrators and staff
Addressing the key critical safety and security challenges, Summit small group discussions took place which included: crowd dynamics/management, facilities design/environment, economic risks, innovation/technology, and compliance. Other issues addressed included: staff development, game day issues, cost optimization, and building a safety and security-aware culture. At the conclusion of the Summit, attendees received a “Summit Best Practices Guide,” - a compilation of their input, along with the Promising Practices for Securing College and University Spectator Events from Criminal Extremist Attacks, which described components and concepts that may be adapted to complement an existing security plan. This guide was sponsored by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA), and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) on December 7, 2011.
• Opportunities to examine threats, risks, and countermeasures of major issues
• Insight on unique perspectives allowing for innovative, current & future-oriented solutions
• Strategies for organizational growth and development
• Solutions for daily challenges in managing your safety and security organization
• Networking with top sport safety and security professionals from intercollegiate athletics
• Keynotes by renowned leaders
• Continuous improvement through dynamic general sessions
$225 per person
NCS4 Members receive $25.00 off Summit Registration!
Summit Steering Committee
- Vinny Bocchino, Emergency Management - University of South Carolina
- Evan Feinglass, Associate Director of Athletic Facilities - University of Connecticut
- Cass Ferguson, Associate Director of Athletic Facilites - University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Bill Givens, Associate Athletic Dir. for Operations - U.S. Naval Academy
- Nate Hayden, Director of Business Operations - Arizona Sports Foundation, Fiesta Bowl
- Gloria Kaci, Director of Game Day - University of California, Berkley
- John King, Director of Public Safety - Boston College
- Keith Lambert, Deputy Chief, Police Dept. - University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Greg Schulze, Director of Athletic Facilities - Lehigh University
- Jeff Steele, Associate Athletic Director, Director of Facilities and Operations - Auburn University
- Alfred White, Associate Commissioner - Conference-USA
- Dave Oslund - Michigan State University